I started this blog in my few days in Chicago before my adventure to Japan for the spring semester in 2014 at OGU, with the hopes that I would dutifully document my stories so that I may share with family, friends, and anyone else who might stumble across this page.

Monday, March 17, 2014

6-Day Spring Break around Kyushu: Fukuoka

In March, we had a week off of classes for Spring Break. Several of my classmates went to Okinawa, many stayed in town, and a few hit Tokyo. After pitting Shikoku and Kyushu against each other, I chose to go see as much of Kyushu as possible for several reasons: 1) I needed to visit Nagasaki  2) I wanted to see Aso-zan, one of the 12 largest volcanoes on the planet. With a ton of help from Yukiko-oneesan, I left on Sunday night by bus from Osaka/Umeda Station to Fukuoka, Kyushu. (I'll get maps up later)

This was on the train from home to Umeda Station... Can't you tell they're related?



This is me and my seat partner on the bus for the 8-hour drive down to Fukuoka. She was very nice and helped me find my way when we got out at Fukuoka. I hope she had a good time visiting with her family.


-------------------------

My first goal in Fukuoka was to find and explore Shofukuji, the first Zen temple established in Japan.(More info. at: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4804.html)



Yay, 819-year-old Zen Temple!





Nice roof ey?


And why waste floor/ground space when you can just put your fu dogs on the roof?



Chinese-style windows! China meets Japan, woo!



Yay moss!



Pretty flowers for Caroline ^^



The sakura (cherry blossoms) were starting to bloom! I was lucky enough to see the start of the blooming in Kyushu for the entire week, and then return north to Osaka only to see the start of the blooming at home!





Cool wall, ey?




After the Zen temple, I poked around a Buddhist temple I had passed by earlier, slightly more intent on the Zen temple than the newer temple next to the train station ^^"







Next, I headed towards the Fukuoka Castle Ruins. Although there was no big castle, there was still one massive moat!



I thought my archaeology friends would appreciate the backhoe excavating an extremely special trading post from Japan's history. This center was one of three famed trading places across old Japan, and the only one that has actually been found.



At this point, a stranger who had been following me told me that this tree was called a dragon, because of its shape. The two of us ended up walking all over the ruins, talking about all sorts of stuff. Apparently, he had come over from the U.S. around 10 years ago with no plan and nothing but what he could pack in a suitcase, with no intentions of going back. Now, he's married and enjoys meeting people at parks. He kept telling me about how the last American he had talked to told him she was a government agent of some kind. So, from government agent to Communist's daughter, he got updates about the U.S. from a broad spectrum.





My sort-of-guide didn't realize that this area is ruins. He thought it was just a series of parks. After a while, I could see his point. 



You have old ruins, and modern Japan.




Curved wall from above! Just for you Dad.



It was pretty cool to walk around on all the different ramps.



This original barracks/turret is now a national treasure.




Lion's Club!



Ohori Park is a Chinese-style pond/lake next to the old castle grounds.





Ma, there were willows along the banks of the pond/lake and I thought you would have liked to see them :)



A reconstruction of one of the castle gates



Yay Japanese subway systems!


No comments:

Post a Comment