I started this blog in my few days in Chicago before my adventure to Japan for the spring semester in 2014 at OGU, with the hopes that I would dutifully document my stories so that I may share with family, friends, and anyone else who might stumble across this page.

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

To start...

          I guess these jumbled words will have to count as my first entry in this record of the next 6 to 8 months of my life. As I type these words, I am sitting in the plane (that is not in the rain, nor is it in Spain) on the first leg of my 30-hour and 56-minute trip from Chicago (ORD) to Los Angeles, to San Fransisco (where I will enjoy a full 11 hours or so of an airport starting in the wee hours of the morn), and finally across the expanse of the Pacific Ocean to Kansai Internation Airport, Osaka, Japan. Below is the picture that a kind United Airlines worker was willing to take on the curbside of O'Hare International Airport of my father and me before I checked in for my flight. Let me tell you: when you scan your passport to check in at a kiosk, make sure that the darn thing is completely flattened against the scanner. For a few, long minutes there I thought my journey had both ended before it had begun, and extended into a long, tedious, and tiring process, because the computer did not find any A. YEAGER scheduled on a flight leaving from ORD in the next 12 hours. That fright was enjoyable, and haunted me through security, where I was "that person" who has too many belongings in one bin and takes forever to gather them up (I didn't have the brain power nor will to sort out the metal in my pockets, which needed to go through the detector, and the non-metal, which could remain in my pockets). I made the plane in plenty of time, and besides a couple of blustery bumps getting out of Chicago, the ride has been rather enjoyable. Heh, the "Economy Class" got to board before the "First Class" too, because the workers weren't finished yet cleaning up the suites in the front of the plane. HA! The "First Class" group seemed like nice enough people though, instead of the usual band of folks racing to nowhere.

To take a moment to reflect publicly about my feelings at this point in time, I have no idea what's going on emotionally. Folks keep saying "this is going to be a huge step in your life" or other such grandiose things, but it still doesn't feel quite real that I'm going to Asia or Japan, much less going for over half a year if things work out right. My brain has been preparing all of the logistics, planning everything very well, and handling all the thinking stuff as if on auto mode up until now. However I could definitely feel a little sick and woozy from when Dad drove me up to the terminal until getting to the gate, and I don't think it's just the dim sum we had in Chinatown, nor the lack of sleep from trying to hurdle my body into the right time zone before ever setting foot in Japan.

I would also like to take a moment to acknowledge the many people who helped me get to the point I'm at now. First of all, I would like to sincerely thank Chisato Murakami-sensei, who has encouraged my Japanese language skills and spirit to flourish in the past 2.5 years, and who sent me a cheerful email this morning that I still have to decode because there are just a couple too many kanji in it. Second, I would like to thank Sachie Koizumi, for starting me on the Japanese language and teaching me how to make Japanese omelettes, onigiri, and octopi out of hot dogs. Next I would like to thank David Henry-sensei, who has made my thirst for knowledge about Japanese culture and history even greater. I must also thank Henry-sensei for suggesting I take up a REC class instead of making the independent study course on Kanji 2 credits. Without that push, I would probably not have started aikido, which has truly changed my life and made it so much better. Thanks also must go to Erika Iseri at the Study Abroad office at UAF. She has known me since before I decided to attend UAF and has been prepared for 3 years to see me off to Japan (I think). Speaking of UAF, thank you whoever decided I was worthy of the Earl Maxwell Scholarship. I will use the funds well in my research on historic volcanic eruptions in Japan during and after this spring semester at OGU. Thanks to my wonderful mentor, Jon Dehn, (as well as another useful shove from Henry-sensei, who is another mentor) this research will be the foundations and materials of my Honors Capstone Thesis and graduation project. If they were to perchance read this blog, I would also love to sincerely thank the American Association of  Teachers of Japan in Colorado for awarding me scholarship funds and expressing energetic support of my trip to Japan. I hope one day I can meet you and thank you again, face-to-face.

Finally, thank you Shaun, for supporting me completely in my ventures off the end of sanity, and all of my parents. Paul, you have no idea how much of this is your fault, but the part where you told me about Shintoism in 3rd grade and taught me post stance in the park in Iowa City is a hint. Caroline, it sucked to learn table manners, but now I can definitely utilize and forget them depending on the situation when abroad and at home. Mama, I have my camera and my sass under control (I think). Dad, my height will amaze many, I'm sure.

And to those who I have not mentioned in text, I carry you all with me, both good and bad experiences, for that is what helped me be here today. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment