I started this blog in my few days in Chicago before my adventure to Japan for the spring semester in 2014 at OGU, with the hopes that I would dutifully document my stories so that I may share with family, friends, and anyone else who might stumble across this page.

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Second stop in Kyoto: Yasaka Shrine 八坂神社

Yasaka Jinja (shrine), originally named Gion Jinja, is the founder and shrine in charge of the famous Gion Matsuri (festival) held in Kyoto every year. Started as a celebration of life and a protection against the plague that had racked the population around 840 A.D., the Gion Matsuri is a month-long celebration, in which 66 massive floats (representing each of the 66 states at the time of the plague) move slowly through Kyoto, and many ceremonies are carried out.

We passed through the shrine and went to several of the smaller shrines as well, to pay our respects.



Below is on of the torii (鳥居) for the Yasaka Jinja. The red-orange and white building behind the torii is one of the gates to the shrine.



Masako-san and me in front of the torii, on our way with Yukiko-san to find a place to drink tea.


No comments:

Post a Comment